Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Olympic Green - Part 1

It was actually sunny this afternoon, so I slipped out of the IBC at about 6pm for a quick walk about the Olympic Green. There are a number of truly amazing venues that the Chinese have built for these Games, and the two most prominent are right here in the Olympic Green.

The one you have probably already seen a lot of on TV is the "Bird's Nest" (technically called the "National Stadium"). It is a huge woven steel structure that seats 90,000 and that will be the home to the Opening and Closing ceremonies, as well as the Track and Field competitions.



The other amazing structure is the "Aquatic Cube" (or the "National Aquatic Centre") which looks like a giant bubble wrapped building. This will, naturally, host the swimming competitions. The other cool part about this building is that it can be lit up in different colors at night.



Also nearby is the "National Indoor Stadium" (there is no nifty nickname for this building, which is too bad, really, because the official names are rather boring). This building will house the gymnastics competitions.



These are all within a short walk of the International Broadcast Centre where I work (well, a relatively short walk, given the huge size of these buildings). The IBC is the biggest of the lot, as you can see here:



There is a lot more to see and show you in the Olympic Green, so I will definitely be coming back to take more pictures. While I was out walking today, there were hundreds of people outside the Bird's Nest who were participating in the full dress rehersal for the Opening Ceremonies.

I am watching the rehersal right now in HD, and it is visually stunning, so you will NOT want to miss it (at least until they start the parade of athletes, which gets a little tedious after a while). The nice part of watching the rehersal is that there is no commentary, so the meanings of the visual themes are left to your imagination, and you also don't have to listen to often useless patter. The unfortunate part is that the vidoe has "NOT FOR BROADCAST" overlayed across the bottom third of the screen.

I was going to play spoiler and tell you what's happening, but there is no way I can do justice to the visual spectacle with a text description, so you'll just have to watch it yourself!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sean
I am really enjoying your comments - the photos really add a great dimension to your blog. Your arrival at the Beijing Airport reminded me of when we landed there 3 years ago. It was massive yet we never really saw any crowds - certainly not like the Toronto airport. Aren't the armed guards everywhere interesting??
You've adding a new dimension of the Olympics for my family! Hope your work doesn't interfere with the blog.
Take care, Linda

twilight_cullen said...

This is all very cool and exciting! I look forward to following your adventure in Beijing via your blog!

I hope you enjoy Beijing! Be safe out there!

See you in church when you return :)

Ashley Lyon

Anonymous said...

Hi Sean,

My name's Tim, I'm from Australia and this will be the first Olympics I haven't worked on since Atlanta - boy do i feel like a fish out of water!

I'll be checking up on your antics for some of my Olympic fix, thanks for being so quick in getting your pages updated so regularly! Nice one.

Cheers mate.

Sean McKinnon said...

G'Day Mate! Too bad you're not here, I think it is going to be really interesting.

I miss "The Dream" with Roy and HG from Ch7. I got to see the show live when they had Jacques Rogge on, and it was hilarious.

Thanks for checking out my blog!

Cheers - Sean

Anonymous said...

Yeah no worries!

Roy and HG are doing a daily radio show during the games on Triple J (aussie youth radio station) and they've also got a 3 hour Sunday afternoon radio show called 'This Sporting Life' which you can podcast.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/thissportinglife/ The daily show doesn't start 'til Monday though.

Can I put in a request for heaps of shots of NBC's compound? Our Channel 7 compound was always tiny in comparison to NBC's.

Sean McKinnon said...

Thanks for the link, it will be good to see them again.

I do plan on having a post on the IBC at some point, stay tuned.

Cheers - Sean