Friday, August 8, 2008

Opening Ceremonies

OMG! (Sorry kids, I know I am too old and uncool to talk in text, but really, OMG!) That was probably the most spectacular Opening Ceremonies I have ever seen (and as I remember, Athens was also amazing).

Here are a few shots to whet your appetite (courtesy of my COMMs buddy Tony, who was inside the stadium - he ALWAYS manages to get inside the stadium).









Here's a shot of Team Canada entering the stadium:



And here's a short video clip I shot off the HD TV monitor in COMMs:



If you are tempted to just turn it off after the creative/cultural portion ends and the (long and boring) parade of athletes begins, DON'T! At the very least, try to record it so you can see how the torch gets lit (very cool!), and then watch the fireworks display at the finale.

The fireworks go on long after the ceremony ends, and were also going off all over the city. There were reports here that the blasts were so loud that some windows were shattered at hotels near the Olympic Green.

Hope it lived up to the hype!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the blog Sean. It makes me feel more involved. Watched some of the opening ceremonies. Fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sean. That really was a fabulous show. I was aching to be there and join in all the hype!!!!

Pleased to hear that you can get out and about to see some interesting sights.

I am sharing your blog with a few friends as it makes things a little more personal and seem a little closer.

Keep up the goodwork.May have time to chat tomorrow.
DonnaV.

Anonymous said...

Sean,

Finally saw the ending of ceremonies. (had taped it and didn't get the last few minutes) Really amazing.

I am looking forward to all the reports of Canadian getting medals.

Are you going to be able get any tickets? Maybe swimming or track?

talk to soon,

Susan

Sean McKinnon said...

NBC is usually pretty good about making sure we get offerred tickets to at least one event.

I would love to go watch Lindsay Seeman swim, or to see some Tae Kwon Do.

There might not be too many reports about Canadians winning medals though. I think we will be hard pressed to get more than about a dozen or so.