Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Forbidden City - Part 3 - Deck the Halls

Here is a short video that provides a view of the outer courtyard in front of the Hall of Supreme Harmony. In the distance, you can see the back of the Gate of Supreme Harmony.



The three "Harmony Halls" were the primary "working offices" of the Emperor. The Hall of Supreme Harmony was where the Emperor was enthroned, or married, and was where important dignitaries were met, or where generals were dispatched to war.

This is the throne from which the Emperor to rules.



The Hall of Central Harmony was a place for the Emperor to rest before presiding over important functions in the Hall of Supreme Harmony.

The Hall of Preserved Harmony was a place for the Emperor to get dressed before moving on to rest in the Hall of Central Harmony (must have been a rough life).

Each of these halls also has a throne. There are plenty of more pictures on my Flickr page (links in the sidebar). At this point, I was starting to get tired and dehydrated, and confused by all the names:

Hall of Supreme Harmony, Hall of Central Harmony, Hall of Preserved Harmony, Gate of National Prosperity, Hall of Union and Peace, Palace of Heavenly Purity, Hall of Earthly Tranquility, and I thought that somewhere there must be a Bureau of Pretensious Nomenclature.

The scale of everything is so huge, that it is disorienting and dehumanizing (which, as I said earlier, was exactly the point). It was definetly time for me to move on to someplace a little more human.

2 comments:

legacygarage said...

Sean... First off.... where do you get the facts to gao along with the pictures??

I just noticed (dooohh) that you are sharing all your photos via a selection on the RH side of screen. Some really impressive shots....

Sean McKinnon said...

I take pictures of every sign or display that has an English explanation on it, so that I can go back and review what I have seen and match it up with my photos.

Also, "Google is your friend..."

I'm finding that I simply have too many good or interesting photos to put on the blog, so I posted them on Flickr (and that is only a fraction of the number I have actually taken).