Saturday, August 16, 2008

Would You Like Flies With That?

Yesterday I ended up down in the Wangfujing shopping district, which is also famous for its "Snack Street". This is the place you've probably seen on TV which has things to eat that make you want to gag.

Here are some examples (caution, not for those with weak stomachs).

Let's start out easy...



Those are deep fried (whole) lizards, and starfish. OK, I think I'm cool with that.



Hmmmm, I think the things on the left are fried Cicada's, and on the right is some kind of larva (maybe Cicada too?). Yummy!



Scorpions on a stick! Cool! But wait, the ones I saw on TV were black, these ones look like they haven't been cooked yet. Let's have a closer look (run the video)...



Eeewwwwww! They are still alive! This made my spine crawl. It's too bad the video is a little out of focus, because this was really creepy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sean, It has been great to get the inside scoop on the Olympics from your view. Thanks for the great photos, the entertaining commentary, and the all the information you're passing on. I look forward to reading more from your blog tomorrow.
By the way, I hear that chocolate covered scorpions are way better than the plain ones.
Anna
...now if only I can figure out how to post this comment!

legacygarage said...

Well ..... what did you go for ??

Sean McKinnon said...

Chocolate covered anything is usually good. I could probably do that with my eyes closed.

However, without any chocolate in site, I chose (wisely, I think) not to indulge in any of the treats.

Cheers - Sean

Unknown said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!=0o

That is so flippin' grooooooooosssssssss!!!Ick! Ick!

They have shown the scorpians a few imes on different tv programs but NONE have been wiggling....yuck!

I'm happy ya got to the food part and you are one smart man not trying any of that stuff!

Alicia =0)