Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Olympic Art

The Olympic Green is a vast area that, ironically, doesn't contain all that much greenery (despite the huge number of trees that have been planted in the areas surrounding the Green). In many respects it looks like a giant parking lot with (interesting) buildings plopped here and there (kinda like the CNE grounds, but larger and with better looking buildings).

To try and add some flair and make it look more attractive, they have placed dozens of sculptures throughout the Green, some of which are very interesting, a couple of which I think are downright beautiful.

Here is a sampling of the ones I find most compelling (the first five are in order of my preference). Many others can be found on my Flickr site (see the sidebar). The title of the sculpture, and my comments if any, will appear below the pictures.


"Wind from the Sea" - This is by far my favourite. I wish there were no trees behind her, as I think she would look great with only the Aquatic Cube as a backdrop.


"Rhythym" - Not sure what attracts me to this, I'm not usually an abstract guy.


"Morning Dressing" - Very peaceful


"Big Dapple" - My first encounter, looks like what I imagined Chinese art to look like


"Joy of Sport" - I like this jovial looking guy!


"Dance with the Wind"


"Passing of the Torch"


"The Origin of Football"


"Dream"


"Love"

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are really nice!

I like the Passing the Torch...very beautiful!

Alicia =0)

Anonymous said...

Dad,

Mom and I like the Passing of the Torch alot too.

I also like the jade stuff I saw in the picture. Hint Hint ;)

caitie

Unknown said...

Sean said... "Rhythym" - Not sure what attracts me to this, I'm not usually an abstract guy.


But are you a car guy? It looks like a mangled mess of shiney bumpers to me!

Alicia =0)

Sean McKinnon said...

A lot of people like the Torch, it's just too much wire for me, I prefer the bronze. The lady in "Wind from the Sea" is amazing, but I haven't been able to capture that properly in a photo.

Caitie, send me an email if you have anything specific you would like. Connor too!