Monday, August 18, 2008

Canada On A Roll

Medals on three consecutive days! We are finally gaining some steam, and have moved up to 15th place in the medal standings.

Karen Cockburn of Stouffville took silver in the Women's Trampoline yesterday. Karen had previously won a Bronze in Sydney, and a Silver in Athens.

Also, Ian Millar, 61, and competing in his 9th Olympic games, finally won a medal, a Silver, in the Team Jumping equestrian event riding his horse "In Style". Too bad "Big Ben" isn't around, as they were a pair for a very long time.

Canada also has lots of potential contenders coming up, with finalists in several events over the next few days.

I finally got out to see the Great Wall yesterday (and am exhausted today). I will have a full post on this amazing trip later, but here's a photo of me and Canadian wrestler Ari Taub, of Calgary, who I met out on the wall.



Ari retired from wrestling in 1990 because of bone spurs in his neck, but found out 10 years later that it was a mis-diagnosis and started wrestling again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY! The Great Wall!!!

Can't wait to hear more about that!

I have a friend who lives in St Catherines.When my son was little he pronounced Canadians....Ca-nan-na-dones!

Go Canada!

Alicia =0)

Anonymous said...

Hey Sean,

Thanks for taking the time to keep us all posted on the games and the various sites. I really love the pictures and your commentary.

Are you keeping an eye on the track and field for us too?

I hope I have expanded your fan base as I have forwarded this link to my classmates who will be visiting China (Shanghai and perhaps Beijing) in Oct.

Fay