Monday, August 18, 2008

He Sees You When You're Sleeping...

I've always thought that line from "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" was a little creepy, can he really see me when I'm sleeping? Ick! Why is he watching me?

Well, confession time, I've been watching you too. There is a little visitor counter on my blog, and a couple of days ago, it rolled past 1000! Here's the creepy part, the counter also keeps track of where people are visiting my blog from.

Check out this map of the world showing all the places people have visited from.



Cool! I've had visitors from over 100 cities in 20 countries! I can even get detailed statistics showing how many hits I've had from each country:



And I can even break it down by city:



It can tell me which Operating System, which Browser, the Screen Resolution, and the IP address of each visitor. It can even tell me how many visits, and how much time each visitor spends on the site. I told you it was creepy.

It doesn't, of course, tell me anybody's name or address, but I can sometimes guess who is visiting by which city I am getting hits from - Hello Brighton, Michigan!

I should also say hello to my new friend Alicia, who found me by stumbling across my Torino Blog, and who has posted some very nice comments here, and here (Thank You!). Alicia is also from Tennessee (creeped out yet? - I really nope not, I'm just illustrating how weird it is to be able to collect these statistics).

The visitor counter is a free tool, with professional versions that can provide even more information. I am sure that this kind of thing is present on every commercial website, and the information gathered is used in marketing decisions all the time.

Big Brother really is watching us!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sean

Still loving the blog. I"m much more interested in the Olympics with you there sending out all this amazing info.

See ya

Sandra, Brighton, Michigan

Unknown said...

Santa your are much younger looking than in other pictures I've seen of you!! ;0)

Not creeped out....amazed...technology is a wonderous thing!I love they way it brings people together!

I wish I would have found your blog for the Torino Games as that's the area where my Grandma and Grandpa lived before they came to America in 1918.I was doing a search on Torino when I found your blog.

I've always enjoyed the Olympics but even more so getting to tag along with you on your adventure!!

Alicia =0)

Unknown said...

P.S. Cool ya have so many people checking in...I seem to be the blabbermouth of the bunch!

Alicia =0)

Sean McKinnon said...

Hey Alicia,

I'm glad you are posting comments, it's nice feedback, and amazing to know that people other than my friends and family are finding and enjoying my blog.

Cheers - Sean

Anonymous said...

Technology is amazing! I love that your blog has been gaining ground and is going around the planet. Does it also tell you what our shoe size is??!

Thanks for taking the time out to do this - your blogs are always great. I still think about the food in Torino you told us about. Sigh.