Saturday, August 23, 2008

Where The Heck Is Sochi?

The games here are winding down. It is early Sunday morning now, the Men's Marathon goes this morning, and the Closing Ceremonies are tonight. I will leave work at 10am this morning, go home and pack, try to sleep for a bit, and then come back in to watch the closing ceremonies (I don't have to work overnight into Monday because that is the day I fly home!).

My bags get checked at the Media Village tonight after Closing Ceremonies between 11pm and 3am, then we actually do our airport check-in at the MV, and catch a noon bus to the airport for a 4pm flight. If all goes well, I should touch down in Toronto (via Chicago again) about 6:40pm on Monday (only two hours after I leave Beijing!).

We all need a break, but some people are already looking forward to the next Olympics.

Everyone knows that the next Winter Olympics are in Vancouver in 2010. Can you believe they are only 538 days away!



Most of you are probably aware that the next Summer Olympics are in London in 2012.



You may even have heard that the bidding cities for the Summer Olympics in 2016 are Tokyo, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro, and... Chicago (guess which one I hope DOESN'T win - PS. it is the same one that I am sure NBC will be fighting tooth and nail for).



Wait a seccond, I skipped right over the Winter Olympics for 2014. Hmmmm, did you know these games had been awarded over a year ago in the summer of 2007?

Neither did I. Apparently, the winning city was Sochi. Huh? Where the heck is that?



Well, it turns out that Sochi is in Russia (for now). Have a look at this map:


View Larger Map

Sochi is located in a southern arm of Russia on the east coast of the Black Sea. Ok, fine. But it is also located only about 30 miles from the country of Georgia (yes, the same Georgia that is having a little mini-war with Russia right now).

Lovely, sounds like a brilliant place to have the Olympics. Sochi might not even be part of Russia in 6 years.

There is already support from some US lawmakers for lobbying the IOC to revoke the games from Sochi, to express displeasure with their recent conflict with Georgia.

On the other hand, there was also quite a buzz in 2001 about revoking the games from Beijing because of China's human rights record. There are still concerns there, but my experience here has been enormously positive.

The people of China have been unfailingly polite, cheerful, and genuinely friendly. I have felt completely comfortable here, and wish I could stay longer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to having you back in Canada. I'm sure there is soooo much more for you to tell.
Safe journey. See you in church!!!!!

Donna V.

Unknown said...

Ya got me...thanks for the spot on the map because I was clueless!

I hate looking that far down the road because I'll be much older and my son off at college in 2014.OY!

I was reading that ABC/ESPN is biddng for the 2014 and 2016 games...would you still be able to go and work for them?

I'm looking forward to the Vancouver games...actually like winter events better than summer.Eric Heiden was my idol for a time!

Hey and what's so bad about Chicago?!?!...they got killer pizza there too!!! LOL!

Thanks for the great blog!

Alicia =0)

Sean McKinnon said...

I much prefer the Winter games to the Summer ones. Mostly because the kids are in school and I don't miss their summer vacation, but also, if you had to pick a good time to be away from Toronto, January and February are pretty good months to miss.

I've always worked for NBC, not sure if ABC/ESPN would need or want me (it depends who they hire to run the show, and whether or not they know us).

Nothing wrong with Chicago (thought they had good ribs?) but come on, compared to Tokyo, Madrid, and Rio? Which would you choose?

Cheers - Sean

Unknown said...

I grew up in Indiana about 3 hours from Chicago...it would be my last pick too! LOL!

I think Madrid is where I'd most like to see those Games take place.

Deep dish pizza originated in Chicago.
http://members.cox.net/jjschnebel/ddishpiz.html


If ya want good ribs you got to come down South for those! I swear there is a rib joint every other block around here!

Alicia =0)