Friday, August 22, 2008

I Get Around

I have been surprised by how well the traffic has been moving in and around Beijing. There are dedicated lanes on most major highways and on the roads near the Olympic venues. Part of the reason for the light traffic is that the government has mandated that private cars only drive every other day during the Olympics (based on odd/even license plates) in an (unsuccessful) effort to reduce smog.

Beijing is said to have about 3 million cars, most of them acquired in the last few years as their growing economy and income have made it possible for more people to afford cars. Sounds like a lot of cars, but in a city of 18 million, you'd expect a lot more, and as the economy of China grows as a whole, there will soon be an explosion of private vehicles (and a corresponding increase in greenhouse gases).

There are also something like 10 million bicycles in Beijing, and unlike the cars, the bicycles can be seen everywhere. I took a wrong turn after getting off the subway near the Media Village and walked into a street that had a double row of parked bicycles that stretched as far as the eye could see.



There weren't nearly that many people around, so I suspect that these bicycles are used to ride to the subway and then parked for the day.

I had mentioned earlier that I was wondering where all the people are, as it hasn't been that crowded anywhere I go. I think I've found out where they are. Apparently, all 18 million of them were on the northbound subway Line 5 last week as I tried to get home from downtown around 3:30pm. Oy! Sardines have it easy.



OK, it's not as bad as that, and the subway is actually a really great way to get around. They have a number of lines that cover most of the city. Taxi's are also great, and cheap, and unlike the taxi drivers in Athen's, the drivers here are polite and friendly. They have all been taught to say "Welcome to Beijing" and are very eager to try out their English.

Driving is "exciting" to say the least. They all know how to work the horn, but are apparently not clear on what lane markings are for, as they are constantly changing lanes, or straddling the lines to ensure they can pick whichever lane looks like it might be moving 1km/h faster than the other. Several times I have been sure we were going to collide with a car (or a bike, or a pedestrian), and have literally come within several inches of other vehicles while changing lanes.

There are also over 600 bus routes in Beijing, but they are generally not recommended, especially as the taxis are so cheap. I've read that the buses are a good way to meet local people, ususually several hundred all at once, and in close proximity. And looking at the buses on the street, I'd have to agree.

I do ride lots of buses though. There are Olympic shuttle buses between the Media Village and the IBC. There are also shuttles between the IBC and all the competition venues, and many hotels in Beijing.

Every night at 11:30pm I take the shuttle from the MV to the IBC, but usually end up taking a taxi or the subway "home" after my daily adventure. Sometimes, I can take a shuttle from the IBC to a venue or a hotel, if it is near where I want to go after work, and then take a taxi or the subway from there.

Even within the Media Village there is a shuttle from one end to the other (probably about 1km). The MV shuttle is a kind of stretch golf cart (a golf cart with 5 or 6 rows of seats). My building is about midway through the village, and when I first got here, I thought "I'll never take the shuttle, I'll just walk". That notion quickly died for two reasons.

One, when I'm heading in to work, I want to be able to sleep as long as possible, so I leave at the last second and I need to catch the shuttle to make my bus. Two, when I'm heading back from work, it is usually after 3 or 4 hours of walking around in the hot, humid, mid-day weather (I was going to say sun, but that would be a stretch most days), and that last 500m is daunting, so I meekly accept the shuttle lift to get home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Part of the reason for the light traffic is that the government has mandated that private cars only drive every other day during the Olympics (based on odd/even license plates)"

This made me LMAO...I could see them trying that here in the US!! Mass riot! OY!

I don't think I've ever seen that many bicycles at one time in my life! Can you imagine if the were cars?!?!? =0o

That subway film sends shutters through me!!! I'd rather walk a hundred miles than ride that way.My first time on a subway in NYC my hubby took us at rush hour...haha...so funny of him...NOT! He grew up in Brooklyn so he knew what was going to happen at that time of day...I was about to die from claustrophobia and the "ick" factor of having unknown bodies squished up next to me!!! Thankfully by our stop we were almost alone on the train!


I really enjoyed this entry learning about all the ways to get around Beijing!

Alicia =0)

Anonymous said...

"[They] are apparently not clear on what lane markings are for, as they are constantly changing lanes, or straddling the lines to ensure they can pick whichever lane looks like it might be moving 1km/h faster...

Sounds like my 3 rules of driving in Manhattan:

1. If there are 2 lanes, drive down the middle, blocking people behind you, until you know which lane is moving faster.

2. If there are 2 lanes, you can fit at least 3 cars side by side.

3. Rules 1 and 2 apply simultaneously.