Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Four Days In A Row

It has been sunny, warm, and beautiful here for the last four days. Canada has also won multiple medals on each of the last 4 days. Coincidence? I'm not sure. I know that I have been feeling better too. My cough is hanging on, but the doctor thinks it might be environmental and not a virus or bacterial infection. The cough is worse inside the IBC than it is outside in the (normally) smoggy air.

They've given me a non-steroidal inhaler/puffer to help clear my throat, and it was worked wonders (so much so that I've only had to use it for a couple of days). We used a laser temperature probe and measured that the cold air stream being pumped into the COMMs room is 60F, and that where we sit is at about 66F. Brrrrr.

But anyway, back to our medal performance. This is all old news for you, but I don't want to leave any of our medal winners out of the blog.

Jason Burnett brought Canada its second Silver trampoline medal in the Men's Trampoline, performing the most technically difficult routine in the field.

Alexandre Despatie also took Silver in the Men's 3m Springboard Diving competition. Note that the Chinese have won all 6 diving Gold's so far, with 2 left to be awarded.

Priscilla Lopes-Schliep won the Bronze in the Women's 100m Hurdles after a photo finish that saw her tied with an Australian runner. The judges ruled that the Australian was just thousandths of a second ahead and awarded her the Silver.

Lastly, Simon Whitfield worked madly to briefly take the lead, but was passed in a sprint to the finish in the Men's Triathalon and finished with the Silver. Simon won the Gold in Sydney in what was Triathalon's Olympic debut.

I was there (in Sydney), and managed to get a photo of myself (a much heavier version of myself) with Simon as he enterred the CBC studios for an interview.



We now have 13 medals, and have already surpassed our total of 12 medals won in Athens. We still have several medal contenders to come, including our flag bearer, Adam van Koeverden, who set a new world record in qualifying for the K-1 500m Kayak final.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you're feeling better! Going from the 90s outside to sitting inside in the 60s sounds cold...even for a Canadian,eh?!?!
=0) No wonder you haven't felt well!

Congratulations to all the medalists!

I bummed because gymnastics is over tonight. It was quite controversial during these games which made it even more interesting to watch!

Have you gotten to attend any events?

I find it funny that on the Today Show each morning there always seems to be someone with a SEC college flag waving in the crowd!SEC Football fans ARE everywhere!!! LOL!

I do live in Tennesseee but.....GO GATORS!!

Alicia =0)

Sean McKinnon said...

Yeah, Gymnastics had lots of drama, and was very exciting (but not as good as swimming). The girls were here in the Studio, but I did not get a chance to see them.

I was offered Beach Volleyball tickets for 8pm on the day I went to the Great Wall, and just could not make it work (got back from the wall at 4:30pm, had to be at work at midnight - I would have had no sleep at all).

Hopefully something else will come up, but we are running out of time.

Gators? What about the Vols? I'm a fan of the Lady Vols basketball team, they are always really good (which means good coaching).

Cheers - Sean

Unknown said...

I hope you get to see something! We've been following beach volleyball...that would have been cool to see but I would have chosen the Great Wall and sleep too!

I do like the Vols when they're not playing the Gators!You'd be surprised on how many Florida fans there are here...even more so since Tebo has been quaterbacking!

Coach Pat Summitt rocks! She was an Olympian in 1976.

The closing is getting near...I don't know what I'll do with my evenings once they are over!

Alicia =0)